Red Hat Software Collections 1.1 beta now available – adds Apache, MongoDB, more
This is now generally available.
BRIDGING DEVELOPER AGILITY WITH PRODUCTION STABILITY.
This is what we do.
Today, we are pleased to announce the beta availability of Red Hat Software Collections 1.1, the second installment of Red Hat Software Collections which was launched in October 2013. Red Hat Software Collections delivers a comprehensive suite of runtime languages, open source databases, and related tools helping developers and systems administrators accelerate the creation of stable, modern web applications.
Based on your wish list voting, Red Hat Software Collections 1.1 Beta expands the offering with several new options, including:
- Two new open source HTTP server options in the form of Apache httpd server 2.4.6 server and nginx 1.4.4 (The latter is Technology Preview only)
- Ruby 2.0 and Rails 4.0.2, which for the first time will be broken out into their own collections, providing developers access to an updated version of Ruby without requiring the installation of Rails.
- PHP 5.5 – the latest stable PHP version.
- MongoDB 2.4.9, a high-performance document database that provides high availability and easy scalability
- Thermostat 1, a tool for monitoring Java virtual machine (JVM) instances on multiple hosts
- The software collections utilities have been enhanced to simplify extending software collections through the use of dependent collections.
These items are in ADDITION TO the collections introduced in Red Hat Software Collections 1.0.
As with Red Hat Software Collection 1.0, this latest release expedites the delivery of dynamic languages and databases, a significant benefit to organizations seeking to accelerate software development and deployment through DevOps and/or agile methods. Additionally, subscribers deploying applications built using Red Hat Software Collections into production can do so with confidence, as individual releases of Red Hat Software Collections are supported for three years.
RED HAT SOFTWARE COLLECTIONS 1.1 BETA AVAILABILITY
Red Hat Software Collections 1.1 Beta is available now for use with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to customers and partners with select active Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions. For more information on how to install Red Hat Software Collections view the Red Hat Software Collections 1.1 Beta release notes.
To access documentation for Red Hat Software Collections, visit:
- Latest Red Hat Software Collections release notes:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Guide:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux documentation: https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/
NOTE: Many of the Red Hat Software Collections components have been converted to OpenShift cartridge for on-premise-to-cloud development, test, and deployment options.
And, don’t do what I did, remember to add the rhel-server-rhscl-6-beta-rpms channel/repo before you do a yum update. — Langdon
EDITOR’S note. Would you like to see other components added to Red Hat Software Collections? Submit your requests here.